Click a presentation icon to read the presentation
Click an audio icon to listen to a presentation
Click an image of a program to read the detailed program with menus, etc.
December 6, 2013 — Book Discussion & Media Event
Murder Is Corny
6:00 to 10:00 PM
Playwright's Tavern & Celtic Pub-Times Square
Dinner and book discussion of Murder is Corny accompanied by a showing of the A&E Television production (European version with expanded footage and letterbox format). Click to read:
- the presentation regarding the A&E television production of the novella
- correspondence copied from the Rex Stout Archives at Boston College regarding this and the last of the novellas
- the evening's menu
December 7, 2013—Black Orchid Assembly
2:00 to 4:30 PM
141 West 38th Street
- Ira Brad Matetsky: "Rex Stout's FBI File" based upon the research presented by Herbert Mitgang in Dangerous Dossiers: Exposing the Secret War Against America's Greatest Authors (1988)
- Joseph Goodrich: "Lights up on Archie Goodwin"
- Rebecca Stout Bradbury: "Reminiscence"
December 7, 2013—Black Orchid Happy Hour
4:30 to 6:45 PM
with scrumptious appetizers
December 7, 2013 — Black Orchid Banquet
6:45 to 9:30 PM
- Keynote Speaker Robert Goldsborough is a journalist and award winning mystery writer, best known to Wolfe readers as the Nero Wolfe Continuator. Bob's topic: "Lots of Frightened Men."
- A meal inspired by the Wolfe Corpus, with wines
- The annual Nero Award presentation to the author of the best American mystery novel. 2013 winner is Dead Anyway by Chris Knopf
- The Black Orchid Novella Award bestowed upon the author selected by Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine for an original unpublished work of fiction that conforms to the tradition of the Nero Wolfe series and the Novella style for which Mr. Stout is famous. 2013 winner is Susan Thibadeau for "The Discarded Spouse."
- Yet another devilishly difficult quiz—click here to try it yourself
- The usual toasts, songs, and frivolity (published in the next issue of The Gazette). Read these toasts:
- To Archie's front-man, Rex Stout, by Lawrence Block (multi-award winning mystery author)
- To Nero Wolfe by Neci's Novak
- To Fritz by Kathy Kennealey,
"Here's to Fritz who always takes such great care of Wolfe and Archie, especially with his culinary masterpieces. Enough doting on them, come be with me! Now that would be satisfactory, indeed!"
And for the attendees:
- Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine for July/August 2013 with last year's Black Orchid Novella Award winner's story, "The Red Envelope" by Robert Lopresti
- A copy of the Nero Award winning book, Dead Anyway
- A copy of Nero Award winner, Chris Knopf's, latest mystery, Cries of the Lost, thanks to the publisher, The Permanent Press.