Highlights of the Weekend Festivities
- Slide Show of the Events
- Read the Blog from Linda Landrigan, Editor in Chief, Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine
- Book Discussion
- The Assembly
- The Banquet
- The Brunch
- Video of Lon Cohen interviewing Lily Rowan (from the Assembly)
Date/Time: Friday, Dec. 4, 2009, 6:30 p.m.
Location: Pete's Tavern (corner of Irving Place & E. 18th St., NYC)
Description: Buffet dinner & open beer/wine bar, Book Discussion featuring Prisoner's Base (1952), with the New York City Premiere of the overseas version (with letterbox format and missing minutes)of the A&E television episode. Moderator: Werowance Emeritus, Jonathan Levine.
See the handout for Prisoner's Base Missing Minutes (Thank you: Juelie, Debby, & Tina!)
- Gil Alba (Alba Investigations, 914 621 4331) and Tom Nerney), both former NYPD detectives from the Major Case Squad, provided a lesson on how to debrief a witness and notes on some very interesting cases.
- Jonathan Levine, Werowance Emeritus, presented a wide range of information on Nero Wolfe's diet, exercise regimen, and metabolism.
- Coffee Break and Swap & Shop provided with Wolfe books & Wolfean-themed merchandise for sale.
- Ira Matetsky, Werowance, surprised us with recently discovered "different endings" of some novellas -- from their magazine printing to their Viking book printing Mr. Stout made changes! Thanks to Ed Price for a first-hand look at the antique magazines!
- George Amato, Director, American Museum of Natural History/Sackler Institute for Comparative Genomics, provided data on everything you ever wanted to know about one of the most lethal pit-vipers on the planet, the Fer-de-Lance -- AND he was interesting!
Date/Time: Saturday, Dec. 6, 2009 6:30 p.m.
Location: Hotel Jolly Madison Towers
- Dinner based upon recipes inspired by The Nero Wolfe Cookbook and the Corpus (click the menu to the right for an enlargement)
- Guest speakers, Stanley Donen & Elaine May
- Presentation of The Nero Award to Joseph Teller for THE TENTH CASE
- Presentation of The Black Orchid Novella Award to Steve Liskow for "The Strangle Hold." The award is presented jointly by the Wolfe Pack and Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine to celebrate the Novella format popularized by Rex Stout
- Toasts to Mr. Stout, Mr. Wolfe, Archie, Fritz, and, this year's special toast, to Lily Rowen, followed by the surprise visit by Lon Cohen & Lily herself. Jane Cleland and Larry Light reprise their Bouchercon 2009 depiction of Lon interviewing Lily -- asking a number of intriguing questions and receiving candid answers
- Song Parodies (oh, my!)
- The confounding and ingenious quiz from Ira Matetsky
Date/Time: Sunday, Dec. 6, 2009, noon
Location: Pete's Tavern (see above Book Discussion)
Description: Showing of the 1973 Book Beat on Tour (Chicago Educational TV) interview of Rex Stout at his home, High Meadow
Larry Light, playing Lon Cohen, Nero Wolfe's favored newspaper man, interviews Jane K. Cleland, playing Lily Rowan. Archie Goodwin's long-time girlfriend, during the "1934 Panel" at Bouchercon 2009 Mystery Convention, October 17, 2009.